Content is the king and it plays a very important role in the success of a website. If you didn’t do it right you it hard to get visitors and convert them. There are some elements in website content which needs to be consistent, organized and easy for the user to skim though.
1. Clear and Descriptive Heading – As every one know that most people online just scan the text than read the entire content. So the heading or title of the page plays a major part in the content structure. What heading ( h1tag ) does is it allow the visitor to know what the content of the page is all about. So make it clear and descriptive. Also using a heading tags has SEO benefits.
2. Content above the Fold – You most important content or the content that you want your users to read should be above the fold because it where the screen cuts of the web page. The chance of the reading the content below the fold is very less. The most commonly used screen resolution these days are 1024X768, so if you call to action and most important element of your website is below the fold it might not convert very well.
3. Consistency of the Font and color – All major content element of your website like heading, sub heading and content should have similar font and color if you try to use different variation in the content style you might confuse the user and make them leave. If you have too many color in your fonts and links on the screen, it will look cheesy and low quality website plus your marketing message will be hard to read and will send your prospects away.
4. Goal of your content – What is the point of your web page content? Do you have a goal that needs an action from the user. Every web page has its own goal weather it is an article, blog post or a product page. The content you’re writing must have a specific goal, something you want the site visitor to do. Decide whether the goal of a web page is to inform the visitor, or to persuade them to take some action, then make sure you achieve that goal.
5. Using of Emphasis and Bold – This should be used very carefully. Bolding and Emphasis a text is to attract attention to the user but overdoing this can kill your content and turn the visitors away. Also try to avoid different characters like too many exclamation Marks!!!!
6. Readability of the content – Readability make the page easy to read and inviting and pleasurable to the eye. Spacing(padding) of the text is very important usability issue of a website.
Spacing should be large and distinct enough that a reader is able to discriminate each individual word and letters. The important factors affecting readability relate to the relative proportions of horizontal to vertical space: line width, type size, and spaces between lines, words, and letters.
7. Title of Web page – A title of the web page is what the search engine visitors see first. The page title or the HTML page title should be explanatory and unique but not stuffed with keywords. Any title which a bunch of keywords doesn’t make sense to the user and would look spam.
8. Too Much Content – Don’t put too much of content in one page Online visitors don’t read too much of content they want to know who you are, what you can do for them and finally how to contact you for their requirements. If you have too much of content on your web page to find the information they need they will leave your site and go elsewhere. Also breaking up the content into bullet points like features and benefits will help the visitor to read.
9. Alignment of text – Alignment provides the structural framework of a content design. The best and the common practice is to align the content text to the left. Since the content alignment can affect the mood of the page as well as how effective it is at getting its message across.
10. Increase Text Contrast – Always stick to the high-contrast text while you adding content to a webpage. If you adding black text on a gray background it is hard to read. Research studies has shown that dark text on a plain background is fast to scan the content and imporve the reading performance than on a textured background.
The whole purpose of a content on a web page is to help the user and take an action based on that content. If you don’t follow the above said content usability issues, you might loose your visitor to elsewhere and also reduces the chances of increasing your website conversion.
If there is any other content issues you think I have missed out here please leave you comments.